Saturday, March 04, 2006

I'm What?

I got fired from my crummy console operator job at a petrol station this week.
No warning, no negligence. There was no incident that involved the pumps catching on fire, me losing my shit and running through a queue of pregnant women and handicapped children, out the door and to safety instead of shutting off the pumps and making sure everyone was ok.
I swear I didnt sell cigarettes to that 7 year old, and that hot-dog was encrusted with filth before I dropped it on the floor and put it back in the machine. Personally I think if you eat a service station hot dog, you dont want to live anyway!
All jokes aside, it was an employee induction handbook that was my undoing.
I mean, admittedly it's probably wise to know about your job when your job involves the service of flammable liquids to the general public idiot, but I had worked that job at another site for two bloody years. One would generally think I had a pretty good bead on things when it came to working at a petrol station.
In the section 'Identify the safety signs in the forecourt and their usage' I put the following:

No smoking: Prevents people from igniting any combustibles with their cigarettes.

Fire Extinguisher: Advertises the location of a fire extinguisher in case of a fire

Bat Signal: Used by Commisioner Gordon to call Batman to the aid of Gotham City.

And under 'Give three examples of discrimination in the workplace'

"Not employing someone due to their race"
"Not assigning hours due to the employees sex"
"Not serving any half caste lithuanian peg legged midgets with beards and a glass eye with communist sympathies because they are half caste lithuanian peg legged midgets with beards, glass eyes and communist sympathies."

And in the words of my boss. "Well, its cost you your job".

-j



No comments: