Sunday, January 29, 2006

"I'm gunna make it, through this year, if it kills me."

This is out of a little song by 'The Mountain Goats' called 'This Year', and at the moment it's remarkably apt.
I know the year has just started, but I really need to get off my arse and do something with my life. I've actually been saying this for about 2 years (Jen can attest to this) but only taken baby steps to actually getting myself there (TESOL course.... and uhh.... TESOL course. And there was an RSA course in there too!). This year... i'm sure will be the year. I mean, objectively, what reason do I have to stay?
- Most of my uni mates have already moved away. Those that are still here won't be for too much longer.
- I dont have a full time, well paying job.
- I dont have a girlfriend (Well, no relationship that's going to keep me here anyways...)
- My room. 'Nuff said.

There doesn't really seem to be a strong case for me staying in Albury at the moment. Not that there ever especially has been, but it really gets reinforced when your mates graduate, and move onwards and upwards, and you're left working at a petrol station.

So i'm currently working 2 turdy little jobs and one good one, whilst living in a little hot-box of a room (I hear of similiar size, temperature and cleanliness in POW camps) and drinking too much on weekends, and being completely petrified of any emotional attachment to a girl thanks to my desire to leave this place.
Man, this is really a sob post, isn't it? Well, it aint all bad. I still have plenty of mates living around here, and it's not a bad place to live. Just not a great one! I seem to just be scared of knocking some girl up, buying a house, filling it with kids while working some shitty job in a factory.
Not my idea of heaven. Wish me luck with the saving!
-j

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Less drinking...more money. There is your savings plan. Trust me it will work.

Anonymous said...

i think you're the father of my child.