Tuesday, September 20, 2005

One Last Snowboarding Hurrah!

After our sojourn to falls creek last week, there was still a veritable buttload of snow lying around, and despite it being so close to spring, more was on the way. I organised Benny, Max, and Fanky and we decided to hit Falls Creek up for one last day of awkward looking snowboarding and 15ft faceplants (this is my speciality).
The day was freaking awesome. Max is especially good at ice skating, and ran rings around me last week when we had a go at that. So I took great pleasure in boarding around him as he constantly fell on his big ass on the snowboard. To his credit though, it was his first time and he ended up doing a shitload better than I did my first time up. Just get a lesson into the boy and he was away!
There was one incident where I followed Fanky into a series of jumps... he jumped... and dissapeared somewhere into the gap between the jumps where I couldnt see him. This cued a very inelegant manouver from me, which I like to call the 'Spastic Slowdown' before I hit the top of the jump. I dont think his girlfriend would appreciate me doing a '360 Fanky Headgrind with added Spinecrush'.
Personally, I avoided any really good crashes until the very last run. So in my usual stupid style I went down a slope a little bit too fast, turned a little too sharp down the bottom, the front of the board caught in the snow and I ate some serious shit. Snow all wedged up under my sunglasses, snow all wedged up into my pants. It truly was heaven.
Towards the end of the day, all the snow at the bottom of the mountain had turned to slushy mud, which was quite a treat as you rounded the last corner and had to pick the 2cm or so of snow that would bridge the slush. Stopping in that stuff would be worse than death... probably full of the bodies and fluids of lesser snowboarders who had slipped, flailed and sunk into the stinky black mess.
As usual, everything but your wang hurt the next day, and thats only because the cold made it shrink to somewhere in the middle of your chest. Legs, ankles... muscles that have no name, they all ached like a bastard, but it was still well worth it.
-j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

speciality??? you think you're so good don't you? making up words!