Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Nanna's and the Poppa's

This weekend just past, there were quite a few things on the table. I could have played drunken golf with my 2 LAN Mine bosses. There was a HUGE grand final piss-up at Berrigan that I was invited to, and some other of my friends were hitting the town with a vengeance as well.
But I had loftier plans... I was visting grandparents.
It was actually pretty fun. I can drink any old weekend, I guess, and it was for the best that I took a weekend off. Burning the candle at both ends lately, it seems. Although, the night before I did go to a yr12 breakup party that was on. Put a large dent in a bottle of jagermeister and had a blast with James and a few of his mates.
My two younger sisters (Karlie and Lainie) and I all piled into Karlies little white ford festiva and we hit the tarmac at about 3pm. There truly is nothing spectacular about this trip, unfortunately. Shenanigans were limited to me throwing M&M's at Karlie and annoying Lainie about her new boyfriend. All in all, you take about 2 turns and just follow the road for 6 hours and you're in Ararat.
Last time we went up, I actually missed one of the 2 damn turns that we needed to take. Theres only 2 for chrissake! A piece of toilet paper had flicked out from under the wheel of a car in front of me, and lodged under the passenger side windscreen wiper. I was so amazed that this little piece of paper had stuck, at that speed, and happenned to miss the turn.
Karlie got the shits.
Lainie got the shits.
I tried to placate them with promises of "Swims!, beaches, and drives along the Great Ocean Road!" which were met with a hostile "Just get us the fuck to Ballarat!" and a hail of lollies.
We arrived at Nanna & Poppa's in Ararat at about 8pm and spent the night eating cold leftovers and throwing around hugs to the family. None of us kids had seen Nanna & Poppa in ages, so it was good to see them looking hale and hearty. The rest of the weekend was spent leafing through Nanna's abundance of 'New Idea' and 'Womens Weekly' magazines. Not that I really give two shits, but Brad and Angelina's relationship looks like it might be on the rocks.
I'm shocked too.
We cut back through a little town called Skipton on the way home on Sunday to visit my other grandparents, Grammy and Pa. Grammy put on one of her trademark awesome roasts (Grandparents just dont fuck roasts up. They have a good 40 years of solid roasting experience behind them!) and caught up with our uncle as well.
After lunch, it was time to goad the festiva into life and make the long journey home. I'm proud to say I drove us through both Ballarat and Melbourne. Two of the shittiest places I have ever driven, where every driver has an attitude and their own speed limit. And Ballarat's just plain confusing! Conflicting signs! 80kph signs... then 100kph signs... flollowed in fifty metres by a 60kph sign. And plus, Ballarat is generally a shitty place. If we voted for Australia's biggest Crud Bucket, it would poll extremely well.
No great hassles on the way home. We pulled into a servo for some M&M's and I sat watching some helpful bastard of a man, helping three blonde chicks fill up their radiator. I maintained that they were '3 Swedish exchange students, on a road trip down the highways to explore their sexuality', but neither of my sisters agreed.
All in all, a good trip. Got home safe and no major fights with the sisters!
I need some sleep!
-j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brad and Angelina? No!